Found a great vacancy? Now you need to interest the employer by emphasizing your top qualities. The University of New York in Prague leads the way among Prague-based universities for the employment rate of its bachelor’s students; a survey carried out by the Czech Statistical Office found that 99% of UNYP graduates were fully employed after graduation. UNYP’s dedicated Career Office works together with individual students on interview and CV tips, as well as setting up events such as Career Week, job fairs, and seminars from prospective employers. In this article, the UNYP Career Office gives you a step-by-step guide on resume writing, which will hopefully lead you to an interview, and potentially your dream job!
There is no single standard for writing a resume correctly, but there are basic rules to follow and mistakes to avoid.
1. The text should be clearly structured and divided into small paragraphs, with subheadings and indents. Improving readability like this makes the selection process easier for the employer.
2. The upper part of the document is for your personal data: surname, first name, place of residence, phone number, and email address.
3. Next, you need to identify your goal. Why are you applying for this position, and why, in your opinion, should you be chosen?
4. The next point is qualification. Try to indicate your professional skills and abilities that demonstrate your competence and suitability for this position. Do not write a lot, but choose key skills that clearly relate to the position you are applying for.
5. Work experience should be briefly listed in reverse chronological order, starting with your last place of employment. Indicate the name of the organization, its field of activity, the period that you worked there, your position, and duties.
6. Education information should be provided based on your age. If you have just graduated from university, this is your main advantage, which should be emphasized. If you have been educated for many years, then the emphasis should be on your earned experience and knowledge. Be sure to make statements about yourself that are relevant to your work and career paths. In this section you can also include additional and continuing education, such as professional courses and training. If your basic education does not match the position you are applying for, briefly explain the reasons for changing your profession.
7. Finally, specify additional information that could be useful in the position for which you are applying, for example languages, IT skills, and driver’s licenses.
• Grammatical errors and typos. The resume should be perfect in terms of grammar, spelling, and content.
• Use of false information. Of course you want to make your resume as incredible as possible when you are just starting your professional path, but while you distinguish yourself and your achievements, you should never lie on a resume! If you are found out, this will work against you and leave a black mark on your career.
Remember that even a person with vast work experience can make mistakes in resume writing. This is not a tragedy, because you can return to our advice over and over, and carefully check your document in good time to catch any mistakes. Do not rush to send your resume, but take the time to check everything thoroughly. This will significantly increase your chances of receiving a positive response, which is the first step to landing a job!
The e-mail address you provide will be used only to send you the newsletter. Your privacy is important to us.
For more information download our UNYP Brochure.