International Students Office

The University of New York in Prague is a diverse school of many nationalities. We are fully aware of the fact that arriving in a foreign country and getting used to a new environment can be very challenging. The International Office is part of the Student Affairs Office, and we are committed to helping international students settle in Prague. If you’re coming from far afield, don’t worry! We will help you adjust to your new surroundings from the very beginning of your stay in Central Europe, and support you throughout your time studying at UNYP.

We are here to help

We can help you with a wide range of issues and concerns that affect you during your stay in the Czech Republic, such as:

  • finding suitable accommodation for your budget and preferences
  • support you with your duties after arrival to the Czech Republic
  • helping you with your visa or residence permit:
    • reminding you of your visa expiry dates and extension application deadlines
    • providing you with detailed information about the documentation and procedures
    • making appointments at the Czech Interior Ministry for submitting your application
    • show you how to check your application status
  • provide information about health insurance
  • provide information about public transport and public transport tickets
  • welfare advice, including costs of living

As an international student, you must follow the official procedures regarding your visas and residence permit in the Czech Republic.

To stay in the Czech Republic legally as a student, you need to:

  1. Either register your visa/residence address to the Czech Foreign Police within 3 days of your arrival (if you hold long term visa) to the Czech Republic OR arrange an appointment for giving your biometric data at the Immigration Office (if you were granted a long-term residence permit).
  2. Report any changes such as change of address, change of passport, loss of your visa or biometric ID card within 3 working days (change of passport, visa loss) or within 30 days (change of address).
  3. Apply for extension of your current long-stay visa/long-term residence permit regularly.

Warning: You cannot apply for extension more than 4 months beofre your current visa/permit expires and later than the last working day of its validity!

Please note that we are required by law to inform the Ministry of the Interior of your active/inactive student status.

Useful Contacts:

1. Foreign Police Headquarters (Cizinecká policie)

Address: Olsanska 2, 130 51 Praha 3

Opening hours:

Monday & Wednesday: 8:00-17:00
Tuesday & Thursday: 8:00-15:00
Friday: 8:00 - 12:00

2. Immigration Office of the Ministry of the Interior (OAMP - For International Students) at Hládkov 682/9, 169 00, Prague 6

You can visit this office only by a prior reserved appointment through phone (+420 974 801 801 -  English option is available) or online (first you need to create a new account there, then book an appointment).

Detailed information can be also found on the Czech Interior Ministry website.

For further information or assistance contact us by email or drop in to the Student Affairs Office to see us any time during our working hours 9 am to 6 pm on weekdays.


Follow us

Go to top