History & Tradition
The University of New York in Prague (UNYP) was established in April 1998 in cooperation with the State University of New York, New Paltz, and the State University of New York Empire State College. This cooperation enables UNYP to offer students the opportunity to obtain an internationally recognized American bachelor’s degree from the State University of New York. UNYP also works closely with its European sister college, New York College, in Athens, Greece. New York College has more than 20 years’ experience in offering international bachelor’s degree and master’s degree programs, including international MBA programs, in partnership with accredited American and European universities.
What we do
Our undergraduate programs are based on the teaching styles used in American colleges and universities. Our programs are designed to introduce students to a range of academic disciplines, to prepare them to master the techniques of critical thinking, effective communication, analysis and research, and acquire the knowledge necessary for a professional specialization in a major field. All of our classes are taught in English.
Who we are
Today, UNYP is the largest and most prominent English-language higher education institution in the Czech Republic. Over 800 students from over 60 countries form a lively educational community with an international group of instructors. Our faculty currently numbers 125 teaching staff (the majority of whom are native English speakers) from over 25 countries. UNYP is proud of its accomplishments and its ability to blend the rich academic history of the Czech Republic with the best traditions of American and European higher education. Our team of educators and professionals at UNYP are looking forward to a bright future of continual development and success over the years to come.
Who we work with
UNYP has received support from public universities in Prague and continues to maintain a close relationship with Charles University, the University of Economics in Prague and the Czech Technical University in Prague. Many of UNYP’s instructors are also members of the teaching faculties at these universities. UNYP also works closely with large multinational firms located in Prague establishing internships that will give students the opportunity to apply their skills in a business setting.
- 2001 The Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports accredits the first UNYP bachelor programs, which have been reaccredited every four years since.
- 2001 The British Accreditation Council for Independent Further and Higher Education (BAC) accredits UNYP as an institution providing higher education.
- 2002 UNYP partners with La Salle University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to offer a lifelong learning master’s degree program in communications.
- 2004 UNYP partners with the Institut Universitaire Kurt Bösch (IUKB) in Switzerland to offer a lifelong learning MBA in Prague. In the same year, this program was accredited by the Czech Association of MBAs (CAMBAS).
- 2005 UNYP becomes a member of the international Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, a membership association of educational institutions, business, not-for-profit and government organizations devoted to the advancement of higher education in business administration and management.
- 2009 UNYP partners with the University of Greenwich in London, an institution with an international reputation for excellence in bachelor and graduate degree programs, to offer an LL.M in international and commercial law.
- 2009 UNYP partners with the University of Bolton in the UK, which offers a wide range of graduate and postgraduate degree programs, and boasts an extensive and world-famous research center. In cooperation with the University of Bolton, UNYP begins to award doctorates by publication in a wide variety of academic areas.
- 2009 UNYP launches its own lifelong learning MBA degree for students pursuing our MBA partner program. This degree is now fully accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Association (IACBE).
- 2009 UNYP partners with La Salle University in Philadelphia to offer lifelong learning master’s degree programs in clinical-counseling psychology.
- 2010 The Psychology Department receives local accreditation from the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport.
- 2010 UNYP joins the Central and East European Management Development Association (CEEMAN), the largest association of business education providers in Central and Eastern Europe.
- 2013 The Business Administration Department at UNYP receives accreditation by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE) for its European Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and lifelong learning master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA).
- 2014 UNYP launches an M.Sc. in International Management, offering this degree through the University of Bolton in the UK. This one-year program allows our students to prepare for rapid career progress into management positions.
- 2015 UNYP is proud to announce its first postgraduate degree with Czech accreditation. The Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports has accredited the UNYP Master in Psychology degree, and successful students will receive the title of Magister.